US Beef Exports to S. Korea surge in Jan-Feb 2010- BSE Hysteria Fades

My following post is based on an article in www.meatingplace.com by Tom Johnstone

The US increased beef exports to S. Korea by 57% to reach 13802 T in Jan-Feb. The Korean Meat Import Assoc said " misconceptions about US beef safety are subsiding"

Australia currently exports 10,000T /month to S.Korea and so the US is rapidly regaining their historical market share {pre BSE } at Australia's expense.

Fortunately beef consumers in our export destinations have become rational enough to reject BSE hysteria like that recently whipped up in Australia by the Witch Hunters from the Australian Beef Assoc.
I recall from before my expulsion from the ABA that Director Mr. John Carter was quite elated when left wing unionists were trashing Seoul in a futile attempt to stop resumption of US beef imports during 2008 and under OIE protocols. No doubt he will be bitterly disappointed that science based rationality has prevailed over left wing thugery in S. Korea

As the rest of the world progressively rejects BSE hysteria , Australia's position will increasingly be seen to be based on trade protectionism rather than rational scientific application of OIE protocols

Views: 739

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

xenophobia is costly and destructive
G'day Alan, thanks for the wrap. The next thing you'll be telling me that "I'm the very model of of a modern major vet-er-in-arian" with appologies to Gilbert & Sullivan and the Pirates of Penzance. I am about to respond to Ms. Thompson after intentionally letting her exhaust her bile and bad manners.
I have learnt a long time ago that when you are attempting to re educate a bolting horse that you get it out in the open and run it in ever decreasing circles until it finally knocks up, comes to it's senses, then stops and is capable of behaving rationally.

Ms. Thompson has been bolting all over show while I've been away on family matters over Easter, but I believe she has run out of the timber onto a big open flat where I can start to head her in ever decreasing concentric circles. Let me know how you I go and if I maintain the expected standard of gentlemanly behavoir.

Also do you believe that "it's only mad dogs and Englishmen that go out in the noon day Sun?" What about mad cows?
Cheers from the Leethal Horse Whisperer.
Wo-ah, steady, settle MS. Thompson, firstly let me congratulate you on your exceptional delusions of grandeur in thinking that your irrational tirades are likely to shame me. I have immersed myself in and successfully served the cattle industry for 42 years since graduating in Vet Sc in 1968.

I have seen quite a few bolters like yourself come and go over the years while the dedicated hard core of the beef industry continue to produce our high quality beef that can more than compete with any imported product. No doubt I'll still be branding calves when you have moved on to a more fashionable cause celebre.

Ms. Thompson, as you probably realize I just can't sleep at night if I get just one tiny fact wrong. It's something of a personal failing. So could you confirm that you are a representative or perhaps even a "hired gun" for AUSBUY. I'd just like to get you out of the trees onto a big open flat. As you come from the home of the ACT Brumbies perhaps the the lawn outside Parliament House might do.

The PR on behalf of AUSBUY contains "witch hunting" of the very highest order. The Salem Witch Hunters would be singularly impressed. Before I respond in detail, could you please confirm or deny that your wrote this error ridden rubbish. Cheers from the Leethal Horse Wisperer
I reckon you could ride circles around that bolter in the bush as well as the open flat.

Be careful with those P's someone might get confused.
youre also the Thomson without an Industry bias too Vida :-)

thought this may be of interest, I spoke of it some time ago, but it took ages to refind the stashed link!
http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Financial-Industry/Canada-demands-...
Vida, good post, anyone who dares disagree or post any differing yet Factual info is branded as ill informed a shill or any one of the collection that comes to hand, lunatic fringe , ultra green etc etc.
Terry singletarys points are a case in point, the man has really done his research, provides cogent info and supporting data and is ignored repeatedly, as were most of the links I posted in the first Saga Lee started here.
alan M is a cheers squaddie for Lee, and is a consumate suburban consumer, from what I have found on his comments on many of my posts, I suspect faced with a slab of beef unless it was labelled and hygenically wrapped, he,d have a hard time knowing what cut it was. He trusts supermarkets.. thinks they are honest and provide value.... need I say more:-)
North Dakota Firm Recalls Whole Beef Head Products That Contain Prohibited Materials

Recall Release CLASS II RECALL FSIS-RC-023-2010 HEALTH RISK: LOW

Congressional and Public Affairs (202) 720-9113 Catherine Cochran

WASHINGTON, April 5, 2010 - North American Bison Co-Op, a New Rockford, N.D., establishment is recalling approximately 25,000 pounds of whole beef heads containing tongues that may not have had the tonsils completely removed, which is not compliant with regulations that require the removal of tonsils from cattle of all ages, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

Tonsils are considered a specified risk material (SRM) and must be removed from cattle of all ages in accordance with FSIS regulations. SRMs are tissues that are known to contain the infective agent in cattle infected with Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE), as well as materials that are closely associated with these potentially infective tissues. Therefore, FSIS prohibits SRMs from use as human food to minimize potential human exposure to the BSE agent.

The product subject to recall includes: Various weight cases of "Beef Heads KEEP FROZEN." Each case bears the establishment number "EST. 18859" inside the USDA mark of inspection and a case code number "16999." "North Dakota Natural Beef" is printed in the bottom left-hand corner of each label.

The recalled products were produced between June 25, 2009, and February 19, 2010. These products were shipped to distribution centers in Md., Mich., and Minn. for further sale.

The problem was discovered during FSIS inspection activities at the establishment. FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers.

Media with questions about the recall should contact Philip Wicke, Vice President of Operations, at (701) 356-7723. Consumers with questions about the recall should contact Jeremy Anderson, Director of Customer Service, at (952) 545-2495.

Consumers with food safety questions can "Ask Karen," the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day. #

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_023_2010_Release/...

Monday, April 5, 2010

Update on Feed Enforcement Activities to Limit the Spread of BSE April 5, 2010

March 2010 Update on Feed Enforcement Activities to Limit the Spread of BSE April 5, 2010

http://madcowfeed.blogspot.com/2010/04/update-on-feed-enforcement-a...

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Texas Firm Recalls Cattle Heads That Contain Prohibited Materials

http://madcowfeed.blogspot.com/2008/06/texas-firm-recalls-cattle-he...

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Missouri Firm Recalls Cattle Heads That Contain Prohibited Materials SRMs

http://madcowfeed.blogspot.com/2008/07/missouri-firm-recalls-cattle...

Friday, August 8, 2008

Texas Firm Recalls Cattle Heads That Contain Prohibited Materials SRMs 941,271 pounds with tonsils not completely removed

http://madcowfeed.blogspot.com/2008/08/texas-firm-recalls-cattle-he...

Saturday, April 5, 2008

SRM MAD COW RECALL 406 THOUSAND POUNDS CATTLE HEADS WITH TONSILS KANSAS

http://cjdmadcowbaseoct2007.blogspot.com/2008/04/srm-mad-cow-recall...

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Consumption of beef tongue: Human BSE risk associated with exposure to lymphoid tissue in bovine tongue in consideration of new research findings

http://cjdmadcowbaseoct2007.blogspot.com/2008/04/consumption-of-bee...

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Wisconsin Firm Recalls Beef Tongues That Contain Prohibited Materials SRM WASHINGTON, October 17, 2009

http://madcowfeed.blogspot.com/2009/10/wisconsin-firm-recalls-beef-...

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Nebraska Firm Recalls Beef Tongues That Contain Prohibited Materials SRM WASHINGTON, Oct 15, 2009

http://madcowfeed.blogspot.com/2009/10/nebraska-firm-recalls-beef-t...

http://madcowfeed.blogspot.com/

http://madcowspontaneousnot.blogspot.com/

The future public health threat of vCJD in the UK, Europe and potentially the rest of the world, is of concern and currently unquantifiable. However, the possibility of a significant and geographically diverse vCJD epidemic occurring over the next few decades cannot be dismissed. ...

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2003/9241545887.pdf

KEY WORK HERE IS 'DIVERSE'.

what does diverse mean ?

adjective

1.of a different kind, form, character, etc.; unlike: a wide range of diverse opinions.

2. of various kinds or forms; multiform.

1 : differing from one another : unlike

2 : composed of distinct or unlike elements or qualities

URGENT DATA ON ATYPICAL BSE RISK FACTORS TO HUMANS AND ANIMALS OIE REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE $

position: Post Doctoral Fellow | Atypical BSE in Cattle

Closing date: December 24, 2009

Anticipated start date: January/February 2010

Employer: Canadian and OIE Reference Laboratories for BSE CFIA Lethbridge Laboratory, Lethbridge/Alberta

snip...

To date the OIE/WAHO assumes that the human and animal health standards set out in the BSE chapter for classical BSE (C-Type) applies to all forms of BSE which include the H-type and L-type atypical forms. This assumption is scientifically not completely justified and accumulating evidence suggests that this may in fact not be the case. Molecular characterization and the spatial distribution pattern of histopathologic lesions and immunohistochemistry (IHC) signals are used to identify and characterize atypical BSE. Both the L-type and H-type atypical cases display significant differences in the conformation and spatial accumulation of the disease associated prion protein (PrPSc) in brains of afflicted cattle. Transmission studies in bovine transgenic and wild type mouse models support that the atypical BSE types might be unique strains because they have different incubation times and lesion profiles when compared to C-type BSE. When L-type BSE was inoculated into ovine transgenic mice and Syrian hamster the resulting molecular fingerprint had changed, either in the first or a subsequent passage, from L-type into C-type BSE. In addition, non-human primates are specifically susceptible for atypical BSE as demonstrated by an approximately 50% shortened incubation time for L-type BSE as compared to C-type. Considering the current scientific information available, it cannot be assumed that these different BSE types pose the same human health risks as C-type BSE or that these risks are mitigated by the same protective measures.

snip...

http://www.prionetcanada.ca/detail.aspx?menu=5&dt=293380&ap...

please see full text ;

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Atypical BSE in Cattle

http://bse-atypical.blogspot.com/2010/03/atypical-bse-in-cattle-position-post.html

http://transmissiblespongiformencephalopathy.blogspot.com/

DAMNING TESTIMONY FROM STANLEY PRUSINER THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE WINNER ON PRIONS SPEAKING ABOUT ANN VENEMAN

''they don't wanna know, the dont' care''

http://maddeer.org/video/embedded/prusinerclip.html

TEST ! TEST ! TEST !

TEST EVERY COW FOR ALL TSE !

Friday, August 29, 2008

CREEKSTONE VS USDA COURT OF APPEALS, BUSH SAYS, NO WAY, NO HOW

http://madcowtesting.blogspot.com/2008/08/creekstone-vs-usda-court-...

TSS
Dear Ms. Thomson, I am thrilled that you are such a stickler for watching your "pees and Q's" and are so touchingly concerned about by renal function. I am glad to report that my kidney's are working just fine along with my grey matter.

However I am very concerned about your over production of bile which seems to have the potential to become quite venomous. Have you considered seeking medical advice about your condition which can become quite debilitating if left untreated?

I the meantime, now that I know that you are not an official rep of AUSBUY, I will respond accordingly to their highly erroneous PR. It's a pity they have written such error ridded rubbish as I have supported AUSBUY in the past by using the book they put out to assist in me buying genuinely owned Aussie products.

By the way Ms. Thomson { no pees of course} do you have an AUSBUY book and make purchases based on the info therein??

Also, if you know anything about breaking horses, or in fact training any animal the object is to get said animal in the frame of mind so that they will learn. Might I ask what techniques your parents used? Cheers from the Leethal Horse Wisperer {Pees included}
Hello Lee- I'd say these girls have got your measure. Your first response is to always shoot ,undermine,belittle the messenger.Many many posts and replies back I politely suggested that you should read what I had bothered to write and respond to that - not slide off on another comedy red herring.

Vida has defended your insult to her post beautifully. Lee Sherd asked a very simple clear Q of you and you choose to Ignore her and go to town on Ausbuy for some reason! My last reply said the same . If this is all conspiracy theory-if so where so? It is not a good way to win an arguement to suggest - me,that I am in the grip of someone mysterious or Vida , that she must be on the take from someone to express an opposing opinion to yourself.

As demonstrated in various meetings polls - the "ground zero" breeders and everyone I know- don't agree with letting imports in . So since we will be the biggest loosers if we are wrong- all the rest who want to interfer can get stuffed!
Hello Alan,
You add a lot to a lot of topics on here and I believe you have every right to an opinion on this one. Whether you own cattle (my case) or whether you have a degree (your case) should not have any bearing on whether ones comment make sense or otherwise (For others to judge anyway)

We are all pretty one eyed to our particular beliefs but I think you should have said Vida -so full of self defense and rightly so.

My not giving a stuff about interference-I meant the Lobby, the MLA ,the Cattle Council and not any of the commentators on here.
I have just spent a couple of hours reading this entire post. I have nothing but admiration for your endurance if not the constant logic of some of your arguments.

Motivation interests me. What makes people do what they do? We know why the beef farmers are there arguing.

We know why the consumers are there, but they can always stop buying beef or go vegetarian, or maybe even ague from the position of being vegetarian.

Mostly people argue from a deep held belief or from a philosophical position about life, or...they have a vested interest.

Just a thought, have a look at: http://australiafirstpartyact.blogspot.com/ It might explain a few things.

Then have a look at WA branch. Then NSW

Then have a look at national policy.

There is always a motive in politics it is always to gain media space, recognition and (legal) exposure.
Hello Vida, I have read with interest the posts between you and the 2 gents ( cattleman Lee Mc and Alan). I can easily see how a lady such as yourself would feel insulted at the responses you've received from these 2 chaps. As a consumer, it seems to me that all you are looking for are answers to your many concerns on the BSE import issue as well as others on the horrid disease. I admire your spunk when standing up for what you believe in so keep it going and don't give in.

Rob, you are obviously a straight talker like myself. I thank you for pointing out to Lee Mc that my question was not answered. Cattle prices are looking pretty and will only go higher in the coming months - about time!

Regards Lee.

RSS

Honest Government, Fair Rights to property and compensation, Australia and our people strong and proud, reinstatement of values and respect

Members

Forum

MIGRANTS, ASYLUM-SEEKERS, AND SOCIAL SERVICE BENEFITS (cont.) 3395 Replies

Started by Dr Caroline Wright in Activism. Last reply by Nicholas N Chin 2 hours ago.

JOKES, FUNNY PICS & VIDEOS PAGE. 2124 Replies

Started by Brendan Michael in Humour. Last reply by Dr Caroline Wright 3 hours ago.

FEMALE AND MALE YOUTH AND SELF HARM 56 Replies

Started by Dr Caroline Wright in Health. Last reply by Dr Caroline Wright 4 hours ago.

Islamia Anyone? 1413 Replies

Started by Bob Stewart in Activism. Last reply by Geoff Hutchesson 4 hours ago.

Is your money really safe in the banks? 19 Replies

Started by Nicholas N Chin in Activism. Last reply by Nicholas N Chin 6 hours ago.

Dessins Extraordinaires 20 Replies

Started by Alyn Roule in General. Last reply by Alyn Roule 6 hours ago.

PALMER UNITED PARTY 253 Replies

Started by Dr Caroline Wright in Politics. Last reply by Dr Caroline Wright 7 hours ago.

LEADERSHIP FOLLOWING THE FEDERAL ELECTION 720 Replies

Started by Dr Caroline Wright in Politics. Last reply by Dr Caroline Wright 7 hours ago.

LIVE EXPORT 19 Replies

Started by Alyn Roule in General. Last reply by Alyn Roule 8 hours ago.

Is there a Global Warming conspiracy? 14 Replies

Started by Grant Bussell in Activism. Last reply by Dr Caroline Wright 8 hours ago.

BEES 47 Replies

Started by Alyn Roule in Agriculture. Last reply by Dr Caroline Wright 8 hours ago.

THE ILLUSION OF THE LEFT - RIGHT PARADIGM 882 Replies

Started by Norm Finkelstein in General. Last reply by Geoff Hutchesson 8 hours ago.

Barb's veggie flower Receipe photo chatt Patch 1239 Replies

Started by Barbara lee in Entertainment, Books, Movies, Music. Last reply by Dr Caroline Wright 10 hours ago.

PALESTINE 4 Replies

Started by Norm Finkelstein in General. Last reply by Norm Finkelstein 10 hours ago.

ETHICS and Codes of CONDUCT 39 Replies

Started by Alyn Roule in General. Last reply by Alyn Roule 12 hours ago.

Joe HOCKEY 98 Replies

Started by Alyn Roule in Politics. Last reply by Alyn Roule 13 hours ago.

WATER RIGHTS 20 Replies

Started by Alyn Roule in General. Last reply by Alyn Roule 13 hours ago.

How to bring an Industry to it's knees! 633 Replies

Started by Rob Moore in General. Last reply by Alyn Roule 13 hours ago.

ODDS AND ENDS AND OTHER THINGS 1963 Replies

Started by Dr Caroline Wright in General. Last reply by Alyn Roule 14 hours ago.

ECONOMIC PRINCIPALS 19 Replies

Started by Alyn Roule in General. Last reply by Alyn Roule 14 hours ago.

© 2014   Created by Rob Moore.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service