US Beef Exports to S. Korea surge in Jan-Feb 2010- BSE Hysteria Fades

My following post is based on an article in www.meatingplace.com by Tom Johnstone

The US increased beef exports to S. Korea by 57% to reach 13802 T in Jan-Feb. The Korean Meat Import Assoc said " misconceptions about US beef safety are subsiding"

Australia currently exports 10,000T /month to S.Korea and so the US is rapidly regaining their historical market share {pre BSE } at Australia's expense.

Fortunately beef consumers in our export destinations have become rational enough to reject BSE hysteria like that recently whipped up in Australia by the Witch Hunters from the Australian Beef Assoc.
I recall from before my expulsion from the ABA that Director Mr. John Carter was quite elated when left wing unionists were trashing Seoul in a futile attempt to stop resumption of US beef imports during 2008 and under OIE protocols. No doubt he will be bitterly disappointed that science based rationality has prevailed over left wing thugery in S. Korea

As the rest of the world progressively rejects BSE hysteria , Australia's position will increasingly be seen to be based on trade protectionism rather than rational scientific application of OIE protocols

Views: 735

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry, dyslexia hits again!!!! COARSE...is that better Rodger? Put me to the back of the class room Sir.
Send me a dictionary as a gift Roger Dodger!!
Mmmmm!

Send me a dictionary as a gift Roger Dodger!!

Wonder if there is anything in the All Good Mates Code of Conduct about trying to bribe a Moderator? ;-)

Meanwhile Erica, I have posted this on here before, but here is a copy just for you! ;-)

Candidate for a Pullet Surprise
by Mark Eckman and Jerrold H. Zar

I have a spelling checker,
It came with my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished in it's weigh.
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when eye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checker's
Hour spelling mite decline,
And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
Their are know fault's with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped word's fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should bee proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting want too pleas.
Rilly 4 Colin J Ely but carnt find a repli 2 heees post. Thanc u Colin...it is good 2 no sum1 cairs 4 my condishun...I thort i wos dooin good riting but must be miss taken...yes sum 1 luvs me aniwa..lukki am eye
BTW luv yor pome...did u rite it??
I will copy the addresses Vida.

hmmm by the way,

Môn amis

Can we drop the high school French? It‘s so boring. Most of us did some and some know some either by travel or study, but let’s just stick to plain everyday English that's hard enough.

I have probs readin French these days.

Au revoir et merci 4 now,
Rae
Sorry about the lack of pluralisation, Vida, as I said it's been a long time.

Al likes his French, always has. I just don't want to see a French language competition. I am not a moderate, just a poster. I can only bang on in good old English.

I will look at the link. Thanks.
Ho Hum.

Did somone call for Lee?
Hello, Vida. I've been reading some interesting carrying's on of late to do with BSE imports that has somewhat taken a side step into the land of princesses and ogres......and you guessed it.....right here on Agmates.
It saddens me that this important subject gets off course every now and then. You and the other 'Prion Patrol' Princesses have done a marvelous job keeping this issue alive. Thank you.

As a beef producer (seedstock and domestic) I most certainly don't want beef imports from BSE countries crossing our shores. I am not conserned with getting vCJD as we eat our own wholesome, clean, grassfed beef. I am conserned that it will show up positive in Australia after these imports are consumed. My other consern is what it will do to our beef markets.

There are conserns with exporters that our Aussie beef export markets will suffer the wrath of the WTO if we don't allow it in. Well I wonder what would happen if every exporter faced the UN WTO and gave them "The bird"?....."The Finger"?......."The (up your's) index"???????????.
I'd even give them some domestic support, stick both hands out and send 2 "Birds" in the direction of our overseas rulers.
roger that Sir, could not agree more. ...

Concerns linger despite recovery on beef exports

By ART HOVEY / Lincoln Journal Star JournalStar.com | Posted: Saturday, October 9, 2010 11:40 pm

Stolle said the absence of news about confirmed BSE cases in the United States has helped sustain an export surge. The last of three was in Alabama in 2006, and Nebraska, knock on wood, has had none.

"BSE, for quite some time, has not been a headline," he said. "That helps. On top of that, it appears that the economic recovery has taken hold quicker, and in more substantial fashion, in some of those overseas countries than has been the case here at home."

snip...

But a day later, some of the talk was sure to be about an article being circulated from Pork Magazine that called attention to the United States falling behind Canada and other prominent meat-exporting countries in adopting a system for animal identification and traceability.

The worry that goes with that report is that countries that lag in their ability to trace back BSE and other high-profile calamities to their source run the risk of more border closings and other more precipitous reactions from Japan, South Korea and other prominent trading partners.

That could trigger another export reversal.

Greg Ibach, Nebraska director of agriculture, said the next move on meat-animal identification is up to USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack.

Amid much resistance, Vilsack pulled the plug on a mandatory approach to assigning numbers to all livestock operations in the United States. The more recent idea, still in the formative stages, would give states some latitude and focus more on interstate movement of live animals.

In the meantime, Ibach said, Canada has better access to many international markets, even though its producers have had far more confirmed cases of BSE, including one as recently as February of this year.

"That's the facts," Ibach said. "And I think the fact that they have a system and we don't gives them some advantages in that marketplace right now."

Michael Kelsey, executive vice president of the Nebraska Cattlemen, said its members would still support a mandatory system that was for disease surveillance only, but not one that extended to every export shipment.

From a meat safety perspective, it's the various restrictions meant to keep BSE out of the meat supply, including not feeding connective tissue from cattle to other cattle, that matter, Kelsey said.

"If you look at the worldwide or global basis, we've seen a drastic decrease in the number of cases on a global basis."

As Kelsey sees it, "identifying cattle doesn't make them any safer."

Reach Art Hovey at 402-473-7223 or at ahovey@journalstar.com

http://journalstar.com/news/local/article_77277938-d413-11df-aa23-0...

INDEED, thanks to the O.I.E., and the U.S.D.A. SSS policy, and the fact they are using science dated back to 1985 still in some cases. THE infamous June 2004 enhanced bse surveillance program was set up to fail from the beginning, and fail they did, not only with the surveillance for TSE, but also the partial and voluntary feed ban of August 4, 1997 was nothing but ink on paper. What i predicted a decade ago, has in fact come to pass, the TSE agent has mutated in every species from CWD now at two documented strains, BSE with 4 strains documented to date (c-BSE, h-BSE [typical h-BSE or the one and only documented g-h-BSEalabama strain?], l-BSE, and the IBNC BSE), and the different Scrapie strains are too many to count, not included the atypical Nor-98 and or BSE in sheep. with the 3 strains of BSE documented in North America to date, the two strains of CWD, TME, and all the strains of Scrapie, with 5 cases of the Nor-98 atypical scrapie cases already documented in 2010 here in the USA, all of which of the past two decades have been rendered and fed to food producing animals for animals and humans, and any human TSE there from ??? please note that the sporadic CJD case here in the USA has had a steady increase since 1997. it's not rocket science. what the USDA, FDA et al have used is junk science, bought and paid for by your local cattle dealer i.e. INDUSTRY. the BSE MRR policy was nothing more than a legal tool to do the same thing when the U.K. poisoned the globe with BSE, except now it's legal $$$

these are the facts as i have come to know them. just my take. ...

Let's take a look at the facts shall we $

BOVINE SPONGIFORM ENCEPHALOPATHY, SCRAPIE, CWD, CJD, NORTH AMERICA TYPICAL AND ATYPICAL

Experimental Transmission of H-type Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy to Bovinized Transgenic Mice

Vet Pathol 0300985810382672, first published on October 4, 2010

Experimental Transmission of H-type Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy to Bovinized Transgenic Mice

H. Okada okadahi@affrc.go.jp Prion Disease Research Center, National Institute of Animal Health, Tsukuba, K. Masujin Prion Disease Research Center, National Institute of Animal Health, Tsukuba, Y. Imamaru Prion Disease Research Center, National Institute of Animal Health, Tsukuba, M. Imamura Prion Disease Research Center, National Institute of Animal Health, Tsukuba, Y. Matsuura Prion Disease Research Center, National Institute of Animal Health, Tsukuba, S. Mohri Prion Disease Research Center, National Institute of Animal Health, Tsukuba, S. Czub Animal Disease Research Institute, Canadian Food Inspection Agency, T. Yokoyama Prion Disease Research Center, National Institute of Animal Health, Tsukuba,

Abstract

To characterize the biological and biochemical properties of H-type bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), a transmission study with a Canadian H-type isolate was performed with bovinized transgenic mice (TgBoPrP), which were inoculated intracerebrally with brain homogenate from cattle with H-type BSE. All mice exhibited characteristic neurologic signs, and the subsequent passage showed a shortened incubation period. The distribution of disease-associated prion protein (PrPSc) was determined by immunohistochemistry, Western blot, and paraffin-embedded tissue (PET) blot. Biochemical properties and higher molecular weight of the glycoform pattern were well conserved within mice. Immunolabeled granular PrPSc, aggregates, and/or plaque-like deposits were mainly detected in the following brain locations: septal nuclei, subcallosal regions, hypothalamus, paraventricular nucleus of the thalamus, interstitial nucleus of the stria terminalis, and the reticular formation of the midbrain. Weak reactivity was detected by immunohistochemistry and PET blot in the cerebral cortex, most thalamic nuclei, the hippocampus, medulla oblongata, and cerebellum. These findings indicate that the H-type BSE prion has biological and biochemical properties distinct from those of C-type and L-type BSE in TgBoPrP mice, which suggests that TgBoPrP mice constitute a useful animal model to distinguish isolates from BSE-infected cattle.

© 2010 Sage Publications, Inc.

http://vet.sagepub.com/content/early/2010/10/02/0300985810382672.ab...

Greetings,

I have been most interested to see IF the h-BSE (h-BSE or g-h-BSEalabama???), but i have been most interested to see if in fact this atypical h-BSE is more virulent than c-BSE, as is the L-BSE (Italian strain) has been documented to be. We know from the studies of Kong et al that h-BSE will transmit to TG human mice;

BSE-H is also transmissible in our humanized Tg mice.

The possibility of more than two atypical BSE strains will be discussed.

Supported by NINDS NS052319, NIA AG14359, and NIH AI 77774.

http://www.prion2009.com/sites/default/files/Prion2009_Book_of_Abst...

HOWEVER, as to the virulance of it one way or the other compared to c-BSE and or L-BSE, i don't think no one has said yet or not? interesting this debate of the h-BSE TEXAS (2nd mad cow finally confirmed 7 months after the fact, and an act of Congress), compared to the g-h-BSEalabama strain documented in Alabama, that is identicle to the new human CJD in the USA that is killing the young and old, with clinical long duration, and different symptoms in some cases too, but not related to this ??? ALSO, this IBNC BSE, might this be the g-h-BSEalabama strain?

FOR anyone interested, please see my concerns here ;

Thursday, October 07, 2010

http://bse-atypical.blogspot.com/2010/10/experimental-transmission-of-h-type.html

THIS is just ONE month report, of TWO recalls of prohibited banned MBM, which is illegal, mixed with 85% blood meal, which is still legal, but yet we know the TSE/BSE agent will transmit blood. we have this l-BSE in North America that is much more virulent and there is much concern with blood issue and l-BSE as there is with nvCJD in humans. some are even starting to be concerned with sporadic CJD and blood, and there are studies showing transmission there as well. ... this is one month recall page, where 10 MILLION POUNDS OF BANNED MAD COW FEED WENT OUT INTO COMMERCE, TO BE FED OUT. very little of the product that reaches commerce is ever returned via recall, very, very little. this was 2007, TEN YEARS AFTER THE AUGUST 4, 1997, PARTIAL AND VOLUNTARY MAD COW FEED BAN IN THE USA, that was nothing but ink on paper. i have listed the tonnage of mad cow feed that was in ALABAMA in one of the links too, this is where the infamous g-h-BSEalabama case was, a genetic relation matching the new sporadic CJD in the USA. seems this saga just keeps getting better and better.......$$$

10,000,000+ LBS. of PROHIBITED BANNED MAD COW FEED I.E. BLOOD LACED MBM IN COMMERCE USA 2007

Date: March 21, 2007 at 2:27 pm PST

RECALLS AND FIELD CORRECTIONS: VETERINARY MEDICINES -- CLASS II

PRODUCT

Bulk cattle feed made with recalled Darling's 85% Blood Meal, Flash Dried, Recall # V-024-2007

CODE

Cattle feed delivered between 01/12/2007 and 01/26/2007

RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER

Pfeiffer, Arno, Inc, Greenbush, WI. by conversation on February 5, 2007.

Firm initiated recall is ongoing.

REASON

Blood meal used to make cattle feed was recalled because it was cross- contaminated with prohibited bovine meat and bone meal that had been manufactured on common equipment and labeling did not bear cautionary BSE statement.

VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE

42,090 lbs.

DISTRIBUTION

WI

PRODUCT

Custom dairy premix products: MNM ALL PURPOSE Pellet, HILLSIDE/CDL Prot- Buffer Meal, LEE, M.-CLOSE UP PX Pellet, HIGH DESERT/ GHC LACT Meal, TATARKA, M CUST PROT Meal, SUNRIDGE/CDL PROTEIN Blend, LOURENZO, K PVM DAIRY Meal, DOUBLE B DAIRY/GHC LAC Mineral, WEST PIONT/GHC CLOSEUP Mineral, WEST POINT/GHC LACT Meal, JENKS, J/COMPASS PROTEIN Meal, COPPINI - 8# SPECIAL DAIRY Mix, GULICK, L-LACT Meal (Bulk), TRIPLE J - PROTEIN/LACTATION, ROCK CREEK/GHC MILK Mineral, BETTENCOURT/GHC S.SIDE MK-MN, BETTENCOURT #1/GHC MILK MINR, V&C DAIRY/GHC LACT Meal, VEENSTRA, F/GHC LACT Meal, SMUTNY, A- BYPASS ML W/SMARTA, Recall # V-025-2007

CODE

The firm does not utilize a code - only shipping documentation with commodity and weights identified.

RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER

Rangen, Inc, Buhl, ID, by letters on February 13 and 14, 2007. Firm initiated recall is complete.

REASON

Products manufactured from bulk feed containing blood meal that was cross contaminated with prohibited meat and bone meal and the labeling did not bear cautionary BSE statement.

VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE

9,997,976 lbs.

DISTRIBUTION

ID and NV

END OF ENFORCEMENT REPORT FOR MARCH 21, 2007

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/EnforcementReports/2007/ucm120446...

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Animal Proteins Prohibited in Ruminant Feed/Adulterated/Misbranded Rangen Inc 2/11/10 USA

http://madcowfeed.blogspot.com/2010/03/animal-proteins-prohibited-i...

Monday, March 1, 2010

ANIMAL PROTEIN I.E. MAD COW FEED IN COMMERCE A REVIEW 2010

http://madcowfeed.blogspot.com/2010/03/animal-protien-ie-mad-cow-fe...

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Feed Safety and BSE/Ruminant Feed Ban Support Project (U18)

http://madcowfeed.blogspot.com/2010/09/feed-safety-and-bseruminant-...

Friday, October 8, 2010

Scientific reasons for a feed ban of meat-and-bone meal, applicable to all farmed animals including cattle, pigs, poultry, farmed fish and pet food

http://madcowfeed.blogspot.com/2010/10/scientific-reasons-for-feed-...

Date: June 21, 2007 at 2:49 pm PST

Owner and Corporation Plead Guilty to Defrauding Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) Surveillance Program

An Arizona meat processing company and its owner pled guilty in February 2007 to charges of theft of Government funds, mail fraud, and wire fraud. The owner and his company defrauded the BSE Surveillance Program when they falsified BSE Surveillance Data Collection Forms and then submitted payment requests to USDA for the services. In addition to the targeted sample population (those cattle that were more than 30 months old or had other risk factors for BSE), the owner submitted to USDA, or caused to be submitted, BSE obex (brain stem) samples from healthy USDA-inspected cattle. As a result, the owner fraudulently received approximately $390,000. Sentencing is scheduled for May 2007.

4 USDA OIG SEMIANNUAL REPORT TO CONGRESS FY 2007 1st Half

http://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/sarc070619.pdf

Audit Report Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) Surveillance Program ­ Phase II and Food Safety and Inspection Service

Controls Over BSE Sampling, Specified Risk Materials, and Advanced Meat Recovery Products - Phase III

Report No. 50601-10-KC January 2006

Finding 2 Inherent Challenges in Identifying and Testing High-Risk Cattle Still Remain

http://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/50601-10-KC.pdf

"The fact the Texas cow showed up fairly clearly implied the existence of other undetected cases," Dr. Paul Brown, former medical director of the National Institutes of Health's Laboratory for Central Nervous System Studies and an expert on mad cow-like diseases, told United Press International. "The question was, 'How many?' and we still can't answer that."

Brown, who is preparing a scientific paper based on the latest two mad cow cases to estimate the maximum number of infected cows that occurred in the United States, said he has "absolutely no confidence in USDA tests before one year ago" because of the agency's reluctance to retest the Texas cow that initially tested positive.

USDA officials finally retested the cow and confirmed it was infected seven months later, but only at the insistence of the agency's inspector general.

"Everything they did on the Texas cow makes everything they did before 2005 suspect," Brown said.

http://www.upi.com/ConsumerHealthDaily/view.php?StoryID=20060315-05...

Monday, August 9, 2010

National Prion Disease Pathology Surveillance Center Cases Examined (July 31, 2010)

(please watch and listen to the video and the scientist speaking about atypical BSE and sporadic CJD and listen to Professor Aguzzi)

SEE where sporadic cjd in the USA went from 59 cases in 1997, to 216 cases in 2009. a steady increase since 1997. ...TSS

http://www.cjdsurveillance.com/pdf/case-table.pdf

see full text ;

http://prionunitusaupdate2008.blogspot.com/2010/08/national-prion-d...

Saturday, August 14, 2010

BSE Case Associated with Prion Protein Gene Mutation (g-h-BSEalabama) and VPSPr PRIONPATHY

(see mad cow feed in COMMERCE IN ALABAMA...TSS)

http://prionpathy.blogspot.com/2010/08/bse-case-associated-with-pri...

Discussion:

The C, L and H type BSE cases in Canada exhibit molecular characteristics similar to those described for classical and atypical BSE cases from Europe and Japan. This supports the theory that the importation of BSE contaminated feedstuff is the source of C-type BSE in Canada. It also suggests a similar cause or source for atypical BSE in these countries.

http://www.prion2009.com/sites/default/files/Prion2009_Book_of_Abst...

2009 UPDATE ON ALABAMA AND TEXAS MAD COWS 2005 and 2006

http://bse-atypical.blogspot.com/2006/08/bse-atypical-texas-and-alabama-update.html

REPORT OF THE WORKING PARTY ON BOVINE SPONGIFORM ENCEPHALOPATHY 1989

snip...

4.2.9 ...Also, if it resulted from a localised chance transmission of the scrapie strain from sheep to cattle giving rise to a mutant, a different pattern of disease would have been expected: its range would have increased with time. Thus the evidence from Britain is against the disease being due to a new strain of the agent, but we note that in the United States from 1984 to 1988 outbreaks of scrapie in sheep flocks are reported to have Increased markedly, now being nearly 3 times as high as during any previous period (18).

http://collections.europarchive.org/tna/20080102132706/http://www.b...

http://collections.europarchive.org/tna/20080102193106/http://www.b...

Friday, August 27, 2010

NEW ATYPICAL NOR-98 SCRAPIE CASE DETECTED IDAHO NOW 5 CASES DOCUMENTED 2010

http://nor-98.blogspot.com/2010/08/new-atypical-nor-98-scrapie-case.html

Friday, September 24, 2010 BSE

Surveillance Continues to Benefit Canadian Cattle Producers September 24, 2010 - Notice to Industry

http://madcowtesting.blogspot.com/2010/09/bse-surveillance-continue...

Saturday, October 2, 2010

BSE surveillance front and centre: CFIA and USA

http://madcowtesting.blogspot.com/2010/10/bse-surveillance-front-an...

PLEASE NOTE *

Over the next 8-10 weeks, approximately 40% of all the adult mink on the farm died from TME.

snip...

The rancher was a ''dead stock'' feeder using mostly (>95%) downer or dead dairy cattle...

http://web.archive.org/web/20030516051623/http://www.bseinquiry.gov...

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Seven main threats for the future linked to prions

http://prionpathy.blogspot.com/2010/08/seven-main-threats-for-futur...

http://prionpathy.blogspot.com/

Friday, August 20, 2010

USDA: Animal Disease Traceability August 2010

http://naiscoolyes.blogspot.com/2010/08/usda-animal-disease-traceab...

layperson

Terry S. Singeltary Sr. P.O. Box 42 Bacliff, Texas USA 77518 flounder9@verizon.net
John Mikko, I agree with you about the need for imports from infected countries to remain banned and the need for labeling however, the labeling is not always correct.

Take 10 minutes to watch Terry Whitmans posted video

'Chinese For Dinner'.

Terry Whitman says:

'In this episode we take a look at the increasing amount of food from China that is appearing on our supermarket shelves. Most of it is coming in via the back door New Zealand where it is repackaged and sent off as being New Zealand produce. The rest is labelled as being made in Australia from local and/or imported ingredients. We are never told where these imported ingredients come from but with an increasing amount of toxic garbage from China being flooded into the country it is safe to say that every meal you eat is Chinese.

The situation is only going to get worse especially when you consider the much spruiked about water allocation cuts for farmers in the nation's food basket that is the Murray-Darling Basin. This is going to force many farmers off the land while increasing food prices even before Comrade Gillard's much hyped carbon tax is introduced and ensuring that even more of our food is Chinese.'
WHAT MORE CAN WE DO....SUGGESTIONS PLEASE. Oh , and please note TONY BOURKE is now heading the MURRAY-DARLING BASIN issue/DEBACLE.
GOD HELP AUSTRALIA!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/10/07/3031548.htm?site=thedrum

LETTERS SENT PRIOR TO THE ELECTION!
Distribution: See list
Subject: USDA website data proves that beef from BSE (Mad Cow Disease) affected USA continues to enter Australia despite ban and IRA!
We represent the 26,000+ Australians on the “Support Aussie farmers Say NO to imported beef” site on Facebook and have located the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) website, which is publicly accessible and provides:
* evidence of US beef imports entering Australia, each and every month, throughout the total ban on beef imports imposed in 2001;
* evidence of beef imports continuing in the intervening years to the lifting of the beef ban on 1st March 2010; and
* evidence that beef imports still continue during the present IRA period.
The USDA data clearly places into question the activities of the Australian Government – past and present, and its supporting agencies (AQIS, FSANZ, BIOSECURITY) with regard to beef imports from BSE affected countries. The data confirms that Australian consumers HAVE and continue to be exposed to deadly BSE infective prions which are linked to vCJD and death. The USA is a BSE affected country. Beef from the USA should NOT be entering Australia. Australian consumers have been deliberately deceived and kept in ignorance.
A Senate hearing was held ‘in camera’ on 14th May, 2010 concerning illegal and dangerous US beef imports. The Hansard transcript of this hearing is not available in the public forum. Why is this? The Australian Beef Association (ABA) revealed evidence of the US imports at the hearing, yet nothing further appears to have been done. The issue remains hidden from Australian consumers despite the ABA calling for action and accountability by the Government - and still US beef continues to be imported into Australia.
We are outraged that the Government, and its supporting agencies, continue to place Australians at risk from deadly BSE beef prions. Guarantees given to the Australian public are worthless. This is criminal negligence at best!
World leading scientific research into prion diseases like Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) or 'mad cow disease', by internationally recognised and awarded Australian research scientist, Associate Professor Andrew Hill (Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the University of Melbourne) states: “We can test for prions, but not down to the very sensitive levels needed to say there is not a single prion in a particular sample. Much research is being carried out, including at the University of Melbourne, in developing better ways to test for, and inactivate, prions.”
With NO definitive scientific test currently available to exclude the presence of BSE infective prions in meat from a BSE affected country, consumer safety cannot be guaranteed. Yet, in written communication , Simon Crean provides the following guarantees and reassurances:
o “Science has moved on since the implementation of the beef ban in 2001 and we are now able to apply measures which guarantee the elimination of any risk to consumers.”
o “Human health is not at risk.”
o “Strict protocols ensure consumer and animal safety and the formal regulated Import Risk Assessment (IRA), will mean that no imports will be allowed into Australia unless they pass the strictest of tests including traceability of product.”
o “This policy can be delivered with 100 percent certainty that any beef imported into this country will be BSE free.”
USDA information (see Attachment 2 for 2002 figures) shows that in the first year of the ‘beef ban’ beef from the USA continued to be imported into Australia and indeed continued throughout the duration of the beef ban and beyond to the present time. The whole issue of keeping BSE affected beef out of Australia appears to be a total farce and a deliberate deception. Where has the US beef been sold? How has it been labelled - as ‘Product of Australia’ or as the imported component under the label of ‘Made in Australia from Local and Imported ingredients’? Clearly, no Australian would expect the component of “imported” ingredient of any food product to include potentially BSE affected beef, particularly during a ban on beef products from BSE affected countries or while an IRA (announced on 8 March, 2010) ‘continues’.
How many Australian consumers have unknowingly purchased and consumed this US beef? How many Australians are now at risk of vCJD as a consequence? How effective have the guarantees proven to be so far?
Since 2001, Australians continue to be exposed to US beef, which is potentially infected with deadly BSE prions. Clearly current protocols have failed. Who will be accountable for the risk that this has posed to the health and lives of Australians? Who will answer to Australian consumers for this? We call for immediate disclosure of this issue. Those responsible for, and having knowledge of these US beef imports must be held to account.
This situation is criminal and the Australian public demand that beef imports from BSE affected countries cease immediately and permanently. Further, we await your urgent response to the information provided on the USDA website and the questions raised above.

Yours sincerely,

"THE THREE SISTERS"

Attachments:
(note attachments are extracts from data that currently extends from 1993 to 1st Quarter 2010)
1. Extract from USDA Exports to Australia (2009-Q1 2010)
2. Extract from USDA Exports to Australia (2002)

Distribution:
The Hon Ms Julia Gillard, Prime Minister
The Hon Mr Tony Abbot MP
The Hon Senator Ms Fiona Nash
The Hon Mr Simon Crean MPMinister for Trade
The Hon Senator Mr Bill Heffernan
The Hon Mr John Cobb MP
The Hon Ms Nicola Roxon MP Minister for Health and Ageing
The Hon Senator Ms Fiona Nash
The Hon Senator Mr Barnaby Joyce MP
The Hon Senator Mr Nick Xenophon
Dr Colin GrantChief ExecutiveBIOSECURITY
Dr Scott CrerarBSE TeamFSANZ
Rona MellorDeputy Secretary and Executive Director AQIS
The EditorThe Australian
The EditorSydney Morning herald
The EditorThe Land
Mr Alan Jonesc/o 2GB
Chief of Staff - News7 Network
Chief of Staff - News9 Network
Chief of Staff - NewsNetwork 10
Chief of Staff - NewsABC / ABC 24
Producer 60 Minutes9 Network

NOW, IF ANYONE HAS ANY FURTHER SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT WE CAN DO ABOUT THIS PLEASE LET US KNOW. WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR RESPONSES FROM ALL THE ABOVE AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT, WE HAVE RECIEVED ONLY ONE. Yes, just the one....see below !

Dear Ms Thomson,
Thank you for including me in on your recent letter regarding USDA data
and beef imports.
I appreciate you keeping me informed and assure you I will consider the
information you have brought to my attention.
Yours sincerely,
Senator Fiona Nash 22/09/10
TOO HARD BASKET???
TOO BUSY??
GOT LOST IN THE MAIL??
OR DOES NO ONE GIVE A TOSS???
OR , PERHAPS THE PRESSURES FROM OTHER COUNTRIES/ organizations
HAVE RENDERED AUSTRALIA HELPLESS IN DETERMINING HER OWN DESTINY
Still if you get "stuck" Ilana can offer you some home remedies!!! She's got ways to loosen things up! Oh LOL!

Steady now! As Ilana made the decision not to respond and gave you the last word, Vida. Can we leave it there?

The discussion topic is wandering. Can we bring it back please?

I have been away for a few days. I will work through the pages to the end.

Roger

RSS

Honest Government, Fair Rights to property and compensation, Australia and our people strong and proud, reinstatement of values and respect

Members

Forum

PALMER UNITED PARTY 242 Replies

Started by Dr Caroline Wright in Politics. Last reply by Geoff Hutchesson 11 minutes ago.

DISASTERS AND ACCIDENTS AND VIOLENCE 213 Replies

Started by Dr Caroline Wright in General. Last reply by Geoff Hutchesson 40 minutes ago.

Barb's veggie flower Receipe photo chatt Patch 1224 Replies

Started by Barbara lee in Entertainment, Books, Movies, Music. Last reply by Stephen Cox 2 hours ago.

Playground, Juke Box and Notepad 1625 Replies

Started by Geoff Hutchesson in Entertainment, Books, Movies, Music. Last reply by Stephen Cox 2 hours ago.

Islamia Anyone? 1386 Replies

Started by Bob Stewart in Activism. Last reply by Dr Caroline Wright 3 hours ago.

HEALTH ISSUES, HEALTH CONCERNS, HEALTH ASPECTS AND THE 'FLU SEASON 365 Replies

Started by Dr Caroline Wright in Health. Last reply by Stephen Cox 4 hours ago.

LEADERSHIP FOLLOWING THE FEDERAL ELECTION 716 Replies

Started by Dr Caroline Wright in Politics. Last reply by Stephen Cox 4 hours ago.

CLIMATE CHANGE REALITY ?? 301 Replies

Started by Alyn Roule in Climate Change. Last reply by Stephen Cox 4 hours ago.

Our Constitution 122 Replies

Started by Ian Yeates in General. Last reply by Ian Yeates 15 hours ago.

NAPLAN School Education + GONSKI 123 Replies

Started by Alyn Roule in Education. Last reply by Stephen Cox 23 hours ago.

TASMANIA AT THE CROSSROADS? 971 Replies

Started by Dr Caroline Wright in General. Last reply by Stephen Cox yesterday.

FIBRE & WOOL 25 Replies

Started by Alyn Roule in General. Last reply by Stephen Cox yesterday.

FOOD PROCESSING SECURITY 28 Replies

Started by Alyn Roule in Food. Last reply by Alyn Roule yesterday.

The G20 20 Replies

Started by Alyn Roule in General. Last reply by Alyn Roule yesterday.

Council contractors move in and take their personal possessions 45 Replies

Started by Damien Rogers in General. Last reply by LEE-KAYE TONKIN-JONES yesterday.

THE ILLUSION OF THE LEFT - RIGHT PARADIGM 862 Replies

Started by Norm Finkelstein in General. Last reply by Geoff Hutchesson on Sunday.

Ex PM and the ALP = Past - Current - Future = 2013 / 14 571 Replies

Started by Alyn Roule in General. Last reply by Dr Caroline Wright on Sunday.

How to bring an Industry to it's knees! 632 Replies

Started by Rob Moore in General. Last reply by Rory Donnellan on Sunday.

© 2014   Created by Rob Moore.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service